Wednesday 13 March 2013

Scientists Says the Best Way To Treat Malaria Is To Avoid Using Same Drug For Everyone


Sep. 8, 2008 — A team of scientists employing a sophisticated computer model pioneered at Princeton University and Resources for the Future has found that many governments worldwide are recommending the wrong kind of malaria treatment.

Despite the availability of many drugs and therapies to treat malaria, many countries' national policies recommend using what is known as a single first-line therapy -- that is, using one drug repeatedly with many patients.
Writing in the Sept. 16 issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a team led by Maciej Boni, who conducted the research as a postdoctoral fellow at Princeton and scholar at Resources, a Washington, D.C.-based think tank, reports that countries could cut the death rate and forestall the development of drug resistance if a variety of different drugs were distributed to patients.
This approach, known as multiple first-line therapies or MFT, could be put into place by making sure different drugs cost about the same, so that patients would not be forced into buying the cheapest available drug but would choose from a random pool. Or it could be applied by clinic physicians who could simply alternate their choices for drugs they prescribe to patients.
"What we found is that using multiple first-line therapies is the best way to avoid treatment failures and to delay the development of resistance for as long as possible," said Boni, who recently has joined the staff of the Oxford University Clinical Research Unit in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
One catch to the researchers' strategy is that multiple effective therapies may not always be available. In some African countries where drug-resistance is already widespread, the only effective therapies are a class of drugs known as artemisinin-based combination therapies (ACTs).
"MFT does not necessarily solve all our problems," said Boni. "Antimalarial drug development needs to continue with the hope of producing novel and highly effective antimalarials that can be deployed alongside ACTs."
Some 350 to 500 million people are infected with malaria every year by being bitten by a mosquito carrying one of the four human malaria parasites, P. falciparum, P. vivax, P. malariae or P. ovale, according to statistics maintained by the World Health Organization. Falciparum infections are by far the most common, killing more than 1 million people each year. Malaria also contributes indirectly to many more deaths, mainly in young children, among those already suffering from other infections and illnesses. About 60 percent of the cases of malaria worldwide and more than 80 percent of malaria deaths occur in sub-Saharan Africa.
Boni, a mathematician as well as an evolutionary biologist, and his co-authors, Ramanan Laxminarayan and David Smith, designed a computer model with inputs based on more than 100 years of malaria field research. They simulated dozens of treatment paths for a malaria outbreak among patients contrasting many variations of the status quo strategy of using a single first-line therapy with one employing MFT.
They found there were major benefits to employing an MFT strategy, namely, fewer cases of malaria, fewer unsuccessful drug treatments, and a very significant delay in the onset of drug resistance in the parasites. As parasite resistance to antimalarial drugs is the key factor that can make drugs obsolete and useless, delaying and slowing down the evolution of drug-resistance is often viewed as a public health priority when designing strategies for eliminating or controlling malaria.
The computerized analysis conducted by the team represents the most extensive look yet at the question of what works best for large-scale and long-term malaria control. Boni, whose research focuses on the public health consequences of the evolution of infectious diseases, said their study was largely influenced by the work of the theoretical ecologist Simon Levin. Levin, the George M. Moffett Professor of Biology at Princeton, has over the past four decades pioneered techniques that apply rigorous mathematical analysis to biological problems, paving the way for work such as this, according to Boni.
Boni, who earned his bachelor's degree in mathematics from Princeton in 1999, has been a postdoctoral fellow in Levin's lab as well as in the Princeton Environmental Institute. Laxminarayan is both an economist at Resources for the Future in Washington, D.C., and a visiting research scholar at the Princeton Environmental Institute. Smith, who earned his doctoral degree in ecology and evolutionary biology from Princeton in 1998, is a mathematical epidemiologist and faculty member at the University of Florida.
The work was funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the National Institutes of Health.

9 comments:

  1. RECENTLY CURED FROM HIV ..hello, i am very happy to inform you that i am finally cured from HIV virus with the use of herbal medicine, the herbal medicine cured me completely and i was tested negative after usege, i am using this means to inform other''s who have the virus that there is a cure for HIV. it is absolutley true, this is not a scam. i confirm it my self and i am a living withness to it. i was cured by Dr.Camala, only him i can recognise who cure hiv perfectly well the rest other doctor are scams . i will advice you to contact this great doctor who GOD sent to put an end to the sorrow life of HIV, his email is dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com WHATSAPP +2349055637784, he can also cure other disease as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dr.Ogudugu for the great work you did for me when my lover broke my heart. Dr.Ogudugu was able to bring my lover that left for about 2 months back to me within 48 hours of me contact Dr.Ogudugu. Contact Dr.Ogudugu on greatogudugu@gmail.com or better still you can give Dr.Ogudugu a call onWhatsApp +27663492930 for a better understanding for what i just said about him..

    ReplyDelete
  3. HELLO EVERYONE.. FEW MUNINETS TO REDY THIS INFOR ON HERPES CURE 2018..
    2017 MY MOTHER WAS DIAGNOSED OF HERPES/ KNOWN AS GENITAL WARTS ,I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON HER MEDICATION TILL A POINT I EVEN LOST HOPE,BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS GRADUALLY DYING AND LOST HER MEMORY TOO, I WAS SO DESPERATE TO GET MY MOTHER BACK TO NORMAL, ONE DAY MY UNCLE WHO LIVES IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM TOLD ME ABOUT DR OLIHA ,WHO HELPED HIM GET RID OF HERPES /GENITAL WART WITH HERBAL MEDICINE AND HIS HERBAL SOAP ,I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS ,ALTHOUGH I NEVER BELIEVE IN HERB BUT, I KEEP TO BELIEVE BECAUSE MY UNCLE CAN'T TELL ME LIES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH CONDITION I CONTACTED DR OLIHA VIA HIS EMAIL; OLIHA.MIRACLEMEDICINE@GMAIL.COM , YOU CAN TALK TO HIM VIA CALL OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER ON +2349038382931 , HE REPLIED AND ASK ME TO SEND MY HOME ADDRESS AND MY MOTHER'S DETAIL AND THEN I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND 4 DAYS OF USAGE THE WARTS FELL OFF, MY MOTHER I NOW TOTALLY CURED AND MY MOTHER IS LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN. YOU CAN TALK TO DR VIA HIS MOBILE NUMBER OR WHATS APP HIM ON +2349038382931.ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR DR OLIHA

    ReplyDelete
  4. HELLO EVERYONE.. FEW MUNINETS TO REDY THIS INFOR ON HERPES CURE 2018..
    2017 MY MOTHER WAS DIAGNOSED OF HERPES/ KNOWN AS GENITAL WARTS ,I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON HER MEDICATION TILL A POINT I EVEN LOST HOPE,BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS GRADUALLY DYING AND LOST HER MEMORY TOO, I WAS SO DESPERATE TO GET MY MOTHER BACK TO NORMAL, ONE DAY MY UNCLE WHO LIVES IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM TOLD ME ABOUT DR OLIHA ,WHO HELPED HIM GET RID OF HERPES /GENITAL WART WITH HERBAL MEDICINE AND HIS HERBAL SOAP ,I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS ,ALTHOUGH I NEVER BELIEVE IN HERB BUT, I KEEP TO BELIEVE BECAUSE MY UNCLE CAN'T TELL ME LIES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH CONDITION I CONTACTED DR OLIHA VIA HIS EMAIL; OLIHA.MIRACLEMEDICINE@GMAIL.COM , YOU CAN TALK TO HIM VIA CALL OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER ON +2349038382931 , HE REPLIED AND ASK ME TO SEND MY HOME ADDRESS AND MY MOTHER'S DETAIL AND THEN I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND 4 DAYS OF USAGE THE WARTS FELL OFF, MY MOTHER I NOW TOTALLY CURED AND MY MOTHER IS LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN. YOU CAN TALK TO DR VIA HIS MOBILE NUMBER OR WHATS APP HIM ON +2349038382931.ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR DR OLIHA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day every one i want to inform the public on how i get cured of HIV/AIDS by a Doctor called OBUDU . i visited different hospital but they gave me list of expensive drugs to treat the symptoms and never cured me. A closed friend of mine introduce me to a Herbal Doctor who cured her. I was scared to contact him but i faund people testimony online testifying about his goodness. when i contacted him i asked him series of questions, i also ask him to show me his herbal certificate and license given to him by his Government he gave all the information i needed that gave me hope. He send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me. am now HIV negative. God bless you for being a sincere and great men. Am so excited, you can contact him if you have any problem whats-app +2347035974895.or contact him on email(OBUDU.MIRACLEHERBALHOME@GMAIL.COM)
    And he can also cure the following diseases
    1) HERPES
    2) HPV
    4) HEPATITIS
    5) ALS
    6) BLOOD CANCER

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am here to testify, I can't stop thanking Dr Oluta for this great thing he has done in my life. I am so grateful to him. I was suffering HIV VIRUS for over 3 years, when I contacted Dr Oluta after reading the wonderful testimony that people have been sharing about him. I have been on medication BUT I WAS NOT comfortable. I was looking for a permanent solution to this virus. I went through the internet and I contacted a Tradomedical/Traditional herbalist doctor named Dr Oluta for help. He gave me all his rules and regulations so that if he cures me that I should write about him on an internet site and that is what I am doing now. He assured me that he will cure me completely with his natural herbal medicine which he really did, and I am now completely cured from HIV VIRUS, what will I say rather than thanking him for saving my life. Why suffering in silence when there is remedy to your problems, Dr Oluta also specialized in curing the following diseases and spell casting
    (1) FIBROID
    (2) Diabetes
    (3) Herpes
    (4) If you want your ex back
    For more informations contact Dr Oluta on whatsapp or call +2349065326267 email him dr.olutaspellcaster@gmail.com  

    ReplyDelete
  7. few weeks ago i left some pains and i want to the hospital my doc told me i had HPV about 1 year and i need to start the treatment early he gave me some medicine to be taking and i told him no i will not because i hated taking medicine when i wont not see cure for the purpose after i got home i started getting worried searching for strong advice and i found valid natural treatment online lot people says they got HPV cure from Dr onokun and i email Dr onokun 3 days passed i purchase his cure online some weeks after the process taking his treatment i got cured i went for checkup twice after taking the natural treatment from the herbalist called Dr onokun and i tested negative contact him on email :Dronokunherbalcure@gmeil.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. few weeks ago i left some pains and i want to the hospital my doc told me i had HPV about 1 year and i need to start the treatment early he gave me some medicine to be taking and i told him no i will not because i hated taking medicine when i wont not see cure for the purpose after i got home i started getting worried searching for strong advice and i found valid natural treatment online lot people says they got HPV cure from Dr onokun and i email Dr onokun 3 days passed i purchase his cure online some weeks after the process taking his treatment i got cured i went for checkup twice after taking the natural treatment from the herbalist called Dr onokun and i tested negative contact him on email :Dronokunherbalcure@gmeil.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why taking those drugs and supplements that can't even get rid of the Herpes Virus?. I advise you to contact Herbalist Agbomian the caregiver and get cured from your Herpes disease once and forever!, His herbal medicine is the best! trust me, I have no doubt about doctor Agbomian herbal medicine cause his herbal medicine is so powerful and effective. I’m talking from experience because I was cured from my HSV2 by this great doctor within just two weeks of me using his medication. Forget! about Modern Medicine and Use Herbs, Real medicine comes from the Earth and not from the LAB.. For getting rid of your herpes within just two weeks, reach the Herbal doctor on email Dragbomianherbalcured77@gmai.com or WhatsApp him with his contact info +2347040843115. For more inquiries, Herbal Doctor AGBOMIAN is my lifesaver and i love him so much for getting me cured from my long term genital herpes (HSV2) and i vowed and promised him that i will keep testifying about him and his good work till my last days on EARTH. He can also cure: Cancer, Kidney Disease, Diabetes, Fibroid, Staphylococcus, Stroke, Sinuses, Lupus, Cold Sore, Hepatitis B, Candida Ablicans, Sickle Cell Anemia Disease, Ebola and many more.

    ReplyDelete