Wednesday 13 March 2013

Before You Blame The Doctor


More often than not, we blame the doctor for every treatment failure we have.  We tend to overlook the role the medical laboratory scientists play in the health care delivery. Most of the reasons for the all- round tripping medical tourism being experienced in the country today could be linked to the poor medical treatment. Many Nigerians have lost confidence in the ability of the Nigerian doctors to treat them well so they’d rather go to the foreign land where they believe things cannot go wrong to get the desired care.  However, we sometimes forget that the basis or bedrock for any treatment is test or diagnosis and that a doctor’s evaluation or judgment is based on that.  And pray, tell, what happens if a patient gets a misdiagnosis from the lab? Your guess is as good as mine.

Now, it’s a global world. Times are changing so also are the ways we used to do things. Gone is the old order for the new one.

Perhaps, knowing the importance of their  work to a patient, , the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN), announced that it was  to collaborate with John Hopkins University and Association of Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria (AMLSN) , to implement a web-based Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).

According to the registrar/ chief executive officer, MLSCN,  Prof Anthony Emeribe, the project named K4 Health/ Nigeria Web- based Continuing Professional Development Programme (CPD) for Nigerian laboratory professionals is a United States Agency for International Development (USAID) funded seed project providing opportunities for medical laboratory scientists to continuously improve their knowledge, update and sharpen old skills and acquire new ones.     He said this was to ensure that medical laboratory scientists remain at the cutting edge of professional knowledge and competence to render accurate and reliable diagnostic laboratory services to the patient and the society.

Emeribe noted that as a responsible association, he was urging his members to cultivate the habit of pursuit of excellence in professional practice in the interest of the patient and the society.

He said that through this programme,  the association in conjunction with Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria(MLSCN) is launching a vanguard for mandatory professional medical laboratory education for every medical laboratory scientist in Nigeria.

“Nigerians will benefit tremendously from this project due to enhanced access to CPD which will result in improved skill and proficiency of laboratory professionals,” Emeribe said.

The association also reiterated its call for the introduction and incorporation of laboratory services at the primary health care level in Nigeria.

The president of the association, Dr Goodswill  C.Okara, said that the practice of treating every patient that complains of fever for malaria or typhoid is antiquated, saying, “our people in the rural areas are deserving of appropriate laboratory services in the 21st century.”

He said every medical laboratory scientist will henceforth show evidence of having acquired a specified minimum number of credits before renewal of practicing licence in a given year.

According to him, without fulfilling the minimum number of credits, practicing licence will not be issued by the council.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, the role of Lab Technician is very significant. In U.K, one needs to meet certain standards in order to enter the profession of Medical laboratory Technician.
    Medical Laboratory Education

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bad diagnosis will certainly lead to wrong prescribtions.

    Better Health Tips

    ReplyDelete
  3. RECENTLY CURED FROM HIV ..hello, i am very happy to inform you that i am finally cured from HIV virus with the use of herbal medicine, the herbal medicine cured me completely and i was tested negative after usege, i am using this means to inform other''s who have the virus that there is a cure for HIV. it is absolutley true, this is not a scam. i confirm it my self and i am a living withness to it. i was cured by Dr.Camala, only him i can recognise who cure hiv perfectly well the rest other doctor are scams . i will advice you to contact this great doctor who GOD sent to put an end to the sorrow life of HIV, his email is dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com WHATSAPP +2349055637784, he can also cure other disease as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HELLO EVERYONE.. FEW MUNINETS TO REDY THIS INFOR ON HERPES CURE 2018..
    2017 MY MOTHER WAS DIAGNOSED OF HERPES/ KNOWN AS GENITAL WARTS ,I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON HER MEDICATION TILL A POINT I EVEN LOST HOPE,BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS GRADUALLY DYING AND LOST HER MEMORY TOO, I WAS SO DESPERATE TO GET MY MOTHER BACK TO NORMAL, ONE DAY MY UNCLE WHO LIVES IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM TOLD ME ABOUT DR OLIHA ,WHO HELPED HIM GET RID OF HERPES /GENITAL WART WITH HERBAL MEDICINE AND HIS HERBAL SOAP ,I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS ,ALTHOUGH I NEVER BELIEVE IN HERB BUT, I KEEP TO BELIEVE BECAUSE MY UNCLE CAN'T TELL ME LIES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH CONDITION I CONTACTED DR OLIHA VIA HIS EMAIL; OLIHA.MIRACLEMEDICINE@GMAIL.COM , YOU CAN TALK TO HIM VIA CALL OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER ON +2349038382931 , HE REPLIED AND ASK ME TO SEND MY HOME ADDRESS AND MY MOTHER'S DETAIL AND THEN I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND 4 DAYS OF USAGE THE WARTS FELL OFF, MY MOTHER I NOW TOTALLY CURED AND MY MOTHER IS LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN. YOU CAN TALK TO DR VIA HIS MOBILE NUMBER OR WHATS APP HIM ON +2349038382931.ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR DR OLIHA

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I get back my Ex-lover contact Dr Ogala for urgent and fast love spell. I never believed in spell casting but After 6 years of dating my lover she broke up with me, I still imagine how Dr. Ogala brought my her back to me in just 48 hours. No one could have ever made me believe that there is a real spell caster that really works. Am Cherry By name, I want the world to no that there is a real online spell caster that is powerful and genuine, His name is Dr. Ogala, He helped me recently to reunite my relationship with my ex-lover who left me, When I contacted Dr. Ogala he cast a love spell for me my love who said she doesn't have anything to do with me again called me and started begging me that she will be more loveing and caring. today I am glad to let you all know that this spell caster has the powers of bringing lovers back. because I am now happy with my lover, and the most surprising, is that our love is very strong, every day is happiness and joy. and there is nothing like been with the woman you love. I am so happy my love is back to me with the help of Dr. Ogala if you have similar problem or you want to fix your broken relationship, stop divorce, get your ex back, get your divorce wife or husband back, I will advise you to contact him ,he is there to help you and put a smile on your face ask he did to me and others. his email: (drogalad02@gmail.com .... His Hangout: (drogalaspells@gmail.com) WhatsApp/Call him +2347049668119 ..

    ReplyDelete