Tuesday 19 February 2013

DEW BOTTLE WATER; True or False??


According to a warning message that circulates via SMS, social media posts and email, people should not drink a bottled water product called "DEW" because it contains a poisonous chemical that has killed 180 people in Nigeria. The message, labelled as an "urgent notice" suggests that the information came from Customs. It requests users to pass on the information to warn other consumers thereby potentially saving "millions" from also dying.

However, the claims in the message are nonsense. Nobody has died from drinking contaminated bottled water called DEW in Nigeria, Tanzania, or anywhere else in the world. Nigeria's National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (
NAFDAC) has investigated the claims in the warnings and found that they are untrue. In June 2011, NAFDAC issued a public statement refuting the claims. The agency asked members of the public to disregard the warnings, noting that "NAFDAC hereby informs the general public that the text message is false and mischievous as there is no poisonous water imported into the country".


 The agency statement also noted:
Investigations so far by NAFDAC in several hospitals across the nation showed that there was no incident of hospitalization or death arising from consumption of Dew water, or any other brand of water.

Moreover, if 180 people had really died from drinking contaminated bottled water - in Nigeria or elsewhere - then the tragedy would have been extensively reported by news media. And, of course, there would have been immediate and well-publicized recalls for the contaminated products along with official health warnings. No such news stories, recalls or health warnings have been published.

The hoax apparently gained momentum after a Blackberry message about the supposed contamination began circulating around Lagos in mid June 2011. It rapidly began circulating to users outside of Nigeria, via Facebook, Twitter and email as well as phone text message.

According to NAFDAC, a water product called "Dew" was registered in 2005 while another product named Dewluk Table Water was also registered in Nigeria. When the hoax first began circulating, the Dewluc company refuted the claims and has suggested that they may have been created by "individuals who might not be comfortable with the rapid growth of the product".

Sending on false health warnings will do nothing other than create unnecessary fear and alarm in communities. If you receive this hoax message, please do not post it to others. And please let the sender know that the claims in the message are untrue.


References
NAFDAC
Nigeria: Nafdac Dismisses Anxiety Over Dew Water 

6 comments:

  1. Natural spring bottle water is always good for health. I always look for packaged drinking water but in processing minerals are lost, so I always look for standard spring water suppliers in Australia for water.
    best bottled water suppliers

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is important to be consuming hygienic water alwayas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am here to give my testimony about chief dr lucky who helped me in my life, i want to inform the public how i was cured from herpes simplex virus by chief dr lucky, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on herpes and i saw comment of people talking about how chief dr lucky cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my herpes result came out negative. I pray for you chief dr lucky am cured you can also get your self cured my friends if you really need my doctor help, you can reach him now.
    Email: chiefdrlucky@gmail.com Call or What's App +2348132777335
    Website : http://chiefdrluckysolutionhome.website2.me/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I get back my Ex-lover contact Dr Ogala for urgent and fast love spell. I never believed in spell casting but After 6 years of dating my lover she broke up with me, I still imagine how Dr. Ogala brought my her back to me in just 48 hours. No one could have ever made me believe that there is a real spell caster that really works. Am Cherry By name, I want the world to no that there is a real online spell caster that is powerful and genuine, His name is Dr. Ogala, He helped me recently to reunite my relationship with my ex-lover who left me, When I contacted Dr. Ogala he cast a love spell for me my love who said she doesn't have anything to do with me again called me and started begging me that she will be more loveing and caring. today I am glad to let you all know that this spell caster has the powers of bringing lovers back. because I am now happy with my lover, and the most surprising, is that our love is very strong, every day is happiness and joy. and there is nothing like been with the woman you love. I am so happy my love is back to me with the help of Dr. Ogala if you have similar problem or you want to fix your broken relationship, stop divorce, get your ex back, get your divorce wife or husband back, I will advise you to contact him ,he is there to help you and put a smile on your face ask he did to me and others. his email: (drogalad02@gmail.com .... His Hangout: (drogalaspells@gmail.com) WhatsApp/Call him +2347049668119 ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hydration is vital for the body's proper functioning, supporting digestion, regulating body temperature, and promoting healthy skin. WasteX biomedical waste

    ReplyDelete